SCSPA Board Begins Planning Spring Conference

The SCSPA board met this past Saturday, Feb. 1, to plan the SCSPA spring conference. This year’s conference will be held Tuesday, April 22. Listed below are tentative session titles/descriptions. More information about the spring conference will be posted soon!

But That Story’s Boring!-Learn how to turn that bring story into a piece everyone wants to read.

Google Docs Changed My Life-From efficiently creating and organizing your files to gathering feedback and assigning stories, the suite of Google docs has something for everyone.

Marketing Yourself-Come see portfolio examples from students just like you who have found ways to market themselves before graduation and beyond.

Cloud Filing-Come to this session to learn about your content management options for storing info online and maintaining your digital archives.

Touchdown Dance-Learn from experienced photographers how to spot those unforgettable moments of victory and defeat that define great sports photography.

What’s Trending?-Design your lit mag to reflect your student culture by modernizing your design and theme.

What to Print?-Learn how to encourage submission and how rubric design and organization can help you streamline the process of deciding what pieces will be published.

Earning Honors Credit for your Journalism 4 Students-Listen to advisers talk about how they worked with their districts to create a journalism honors program.

Who Does What?-Two staffs will show you how they assign duties with fewer than two dozen students to share the workload of managing social media accounts.

Marketing 101-Discuss marketing techniques to put your yearbook in the most hands and in front of the most eyes possible.

School’s (NOT) Out for Summer!-This session will provide tips on how to start next year’s book before the first day of school.

No Do-overs-Learn how to handle live interviews, anchoring, reporting and even doing a live show.

Open-ended Awesome-National Emmy-award winner and former CBS This Morning anchor Jane Robelot teaches you the tips for turning your story into gold with in-depth interviews, unique questions and bold quotes.

Persistence in Publication- Explain the importance of staying on time with stories, layouts and printing the publication.

Gamecock Productions-Broadcast students from USC’s Gamecock Productions introduce students to the program.

Editors Roundtable-Discuss the leadership roles within publication staffs and the relationship between the principal and the staff.

The Thrilling Fields: How to Conquer as an Editor in Chief-In this hands-on workshop, learn how to professionally deal with difficult scenarios you may face as an editor.

Sensitive Subjects: When Tragedy Strikes Your School-Learn from experienced advisers how to cover tragedies professionally and appropriately.

Tour of Publications at USC-Tour the different USC student media offices housed in Russell House.

Team Planning for Theme Planning-Gather ideas on how to plan your theme package for your 2015 yearbook using scavenger hunts, pop culture and your local mall.

Pimp My Page!-Submit your layout designs that you think need a serious upgrade and let our layout expert critique your work and offer helpful pointers.

All About the Shot-Go in depth from taking a photo to framing a shot.

Interviewing-