Meet the 2015-16 SCSPA Student Officers

Presidential Candidates – runner-up will be placed in a representative position

Cole LoweryCole Lowery, Summerville HS

Cole Lowery is a junior at Summerville High School. He is one of the lead producers of Wave TV. His passion for news reporting and photography has one him multiple awards for SCSPA and SIPA. He is an accomplished filmaker as well. Outside of school, he enjoys caring for his puppy, Macco, and attending church at Newspring.

Makrina NayfaMakrina Nayfa, Spartanburg HS

Makrina Nayfa is a junior at Spartanburg High School, where she serves as the News Editor and Co-Editor-in-Chief for the school newspaper Norse News. Last year, Nayfa was Opinion/Editorial Editor. She has been on the Spartanburg High School Varsity Lacrosse team for three years. Nayfa is currently President of SCSPA’s Student Board and is running for the position again this year.

Vice President

Jack WestJack West, Spartanburg HS

Jack West is the Co-Editor-in-Chief of Spartanburg High School’s Norse News. He is also involved in National Honor Society and the Student Advisory Council House of Representatives. In his spare time, he usually watches Netflix or studies at Panera. The 2015-2016 year will be the second year West has served as Vice President for the SCSPA Student Board.

Lowcountry Representative

TaylorScottTaylor Scott, Wando HS

Taylor Scott is a junior at Wando High School. After only a year on the yearbook staff, she secured the Co-editor-In-Chief position on Legend for next year. She served as student life writer this year and interned at various fashion industries in the Charleston area while participating in modeling. She is a member of the Key Club, Adventure Club, and the Paranormal Investigation Club. She plans to enter into the fashion journalism industry. 

Midlands Representative

DemetriusDavis2Demetrius Davis – Richland Northeast HS

Demetrius Davis is a junior at Richland Northeast High School, where he is one of the sports editors for the Convergence Media program. He is in the journalism and technology magnet programs at Northeast. He is a varsity football player and a volunteer for the HOPE 365 community service organization.

Upstate Representative

Caroline CareyCaroline Carey, Spartanburg HS

Caroline Carey is a junior at Spartanburg High School and the Student Life Editor for the Norse News student newspaper. She also plays on the Varsity Lacrosse team and participates in English equestrian competitions. Outside of school, Carey enjoys mission work and is an active member in her church’s mission team.

Broadcast Representative

Sierra GurtlerSierra Gurtler, Summerville HS

Sierra Gurtler is a sophomore at Summerville High School. She is a member of the Wave TV broadcast staff and specializes in editing. At SHS, she is a member of the mock trial team and a successful foreign language student. Her interests outside of school are YouTube creators and punk rock bands.

Literary Magazine Representatives

Isabelle Burgin, South Pointe HS

Isabelle Burgin is a sophomore at South Pointe High School. Isabelle works for her school literary magazine, Impulse, as the Staff Photographer, Graphics Editor, and Art Editor. In addition to her work on the Impulse Staff, she is an avid horseback rider and volunteer at her church. Isabelle is a published photographer who runs her own photography business Isabelle Burgin Photography.

Mary Louise VannMary Louise Vann, Spartanburg HS

Mary Louise Vann is a junior at Spartanburg High School. Vann works for her school literary magazine First Circle as the Co-Editor-in-Chief and the student newspaper Norse News as the Cover Editor. She is a second year staff member for Norse News and a third year member of the Literary Club where she serves as President for 2014-2015. In addition to her work with scholastic media, Vann serves as Junior Civitan President for 2014-2015.

Newspaper Representative

Nora Grace SmithNora Smith, Spartanburg HS

Nora Grace Smith is the current Entertainment Editor of Spartanburg High School’s student newspaper Norse News. She has served as the Newspaper Representative for the SCSPA Student Board for 2014-2015 year and looks forward to serving in that position again for the 2015-2016 year. Smith also runs on the Varsity Cross Country team and is a member of the International Thespian Society. She enjoys writing, taking pictures, and reading memoirs.

Online/Digital Media Representative

SummerSummer Huechtker, South Pointe HS

Rising senior, Summer Huechtker will be editor in chief of SPiN Wired next year, having served as its Sports Editor this year. Having worked for both SPiN’s print and online publications with a high level of excellence and integrity, she understands true hybrid journalism. As a sports fanatic, she is a captain on the varsity cheerleading squad and a varsity soccer player. She is an AP student academically and serves in Beta Club. She will major in a journalism-mass communications-related major and hopes to be a sports journalist.

Yearbook Representative

CallieLambCallie Lamb, Wando HS

Callie Lamb is a junior at Wando High School who will serve as Co-Editor-In-Chief of Legend next year, a title she secured after only a year of yearbook staff. She served as academics writer and is also a key player on the Wando girls golf team. She is a Scholastic Gold Key Writing Recipient, published in two poetry books, and a member of the National Honor Society.