COVID-19 Coverage

Even though students and teachers are not in the classroom, student journalists are still hard at work covering the COVID-19 pandemic. We have compiled a list of resources to help in that coverage. Also, we have a list of stories our members have created about COVID-19 and how the pandemic is affecting their community.

Coverage resources

• Student Press Law CenterSPLC has compiled Frequently Asked Questions, resources and examples of student coverage. We hope this guide helps you to report on this complex and fast-moving story.
  • Student Press Law Center Coronavirus Toolkit – The coronavirus pandemic and resulting school closures are affecting student journalists and advisers in myriad ways. The Student Press Law Center has created a number of resources to help you cope with the problems you may face, as well as news coverage to keep you informed on the state of student media during this crisis.
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Image Gallery – The newsroom image library is home to the images journalists request most often. These high-resolution, public domain images are ready to print in your publication.
  • John Hopkins University – this graphic has the latest numbers for COVID-19 cases, deaths, recoveries, and more — and it’s all sorted by country and/or state and province. Importantly, it also updates in real-time, so you always know you are getting the latest numbers.
  • Visual Capitalist: History of Pandemics – In this infographic, we look at the data to show you the history of pandemics — all the way from the Black Death to how the current COVID-19 situation. It helps give the historical context on how bad a pandemic can be. It’s also updated every day so you can see how COVID-19 compares to the impact of these previous events.
  • Financial Times – features various charts and tables on the countries affected, as well as ongoing assessments on the economic damage caused by the virus. Like many of the other COVID-19 resources featured on this list, it is updated on a daily basis.
  • Our World in Data – this research page has tons of stats, citations, and data for those that want to dive deeper into the situation. It’s also updated very regularly.
  • NYTimes – In this lesson, students will learn about the Coronavirus using Times photographs, graphs and articles.
  • NBC News – NBC News asked every state health department how it is handling testing for coronavirus. Read our guide for information about your state.
  • Forbes -Nine tips to be productive when working at home during COVID-19
  • NPR – everything you need to know about the global outbreak
  • The Washington PostThe Washington Post’s resource box on all things dealing with COVID-19/Coronavirus
  • NYTimes The workers who face the greatest riskGraphic: As the Coronavirus continues to spread throughout the United States, people with jobs that put them in physical contact with many others are at the greatest risk of becoming sick.
  • Cleaning during the CoronavirusA new study measured the life span of the novel Coronavirus on surfaces. Here’s what they found, plus expert advice for cleaning the stuff you touch.
  • BBC – How to clean your smartphone safely
  • Cleveland Clinic NewsroomSound bites from Cleveland Clinic experts, b-roll from testing, broadcast packages
  • Wired – No Purell? No problem! When disinfecting gel sells out everywhere, you can just make some yourself with stuff you (maybe) already have at home.
  • Vox – 11 charts that explain the Coronavirus pandemic
  • OSHAThis webpage provides information for workers and employers about the evolving coronavirus outbreak. The information includes links to interim guidance and other resources for preventing exposures to, and infection with, the novel coronavirus—now officially named COVID-19.
  • World Health OrganizationWHO offers all types of information on COVID-19, including travel advice, how to protect yourself, current research and specific media resources (videos, audio and transcripts).
  • CDC Coronavirus InfoCoronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China.
  • The Washington Post graphic simulationThe early trickle of new Coronavirus infections has turned into a steady current. By creating simple simulations, we can see how to slow it down.

Member coverage